Liddys Links

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Saturday, July 01, 2006
Creating a Safe Haven
No, not really, my house was safe before, but a few years ago, we put in central air conditioning. I love it! Since then, I've been meaning to get some blinds or some curtains up in the east windows on the first floor. That morning sun is brutal, and sets the climate for the day.

This week, I did just that. I discovered vinyl miniblinds, for less than 4 bucks apiece at either Home Cheapo or Wally's World. Woo-hoo! Our windows, which we put in a few years before we got the AC, are a standard size AND all the same. Double woo-hoo!

Takes no more than 10 minutes per window to install each one, using our trusty Milwaukee cordless drill - and that includes time spent adjusting and fiddling with the pull-cords. If you use the little plastic goobers that stop the shade from dropping completely open, as in all 64 inches, you can put a blind on the front door and have it just cover the window! I've gone nuts with these. Today I'm going to install another set in the laundry room and the room-darkening ones in our bedroom. Those were mondo expensive - sheesh, almost $10 each! Try buying sheers or lace curtains plus rods for that, and odds are those will need hemming to fit.

Oh, and the laundry has piled up this week. Guess I need to worry a plot while I sort, load, switch, fold and stow all those socks and shorts and tee shirts. I have some of my best ideas while folding laundry, although I must confess I've also lost some in the basket. They're probably keeping company with all those lonely socks whose mates accumulate atop the washer, waiting for the lost to reappear. They're so depressing that once a year I have to toss them. Guess I could stuff their toes full of catnip and turn them into cat toys, but we have enough of those underfoot.

Have a wonderful weekend, and a great holiday, if you're stretching the weekend into a vacation! I'll be writing and admiring my new blinds. They do keep the sun out in the morning, which will save the world some energy and us some money. I love walking around the house at night and feeling that I'm invisible to the world.

Of course, I also can't see the monsters just outside the windows, but if they stay outside, they don't really matter and that's a good thing, isn't it?

Stay cool!
posted by Liddy Midnight @ 9:37 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 2:05 PM, Blogger Emmy Ellis said…

    I've got those blinds too!

    Great aren't they? I've got them downstairs and so far have resisted doing upstairs...

    :o)

     
  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger Emmy Ellis said…

    I agree, Moonglade!

    To get blinds years ago, they were too expensive and only for posh people! I also remember to completely 'net' all your windows in the house cost a fortune. How times change.

    Even drapes in the UK are selling for £10, floor to ceiling, yet years ago I recall the price as about £90. Weird.

    :o)

     
  • At 11:58 AM, Blogger Jan Springer, Erotic Romance Author said…

    Congratulations on your new blinds, Liddy!!

    What a wonderful idea about the catnip and socks! Thanks! I think I'll make some for my little furballs. :-)

    Happy weekend!

    jan

     
  • At 12:38 AM, Blogger Shelley Munro said…

    So that's where my missing socks have gone. They've headed for warmer climes and ended up at your place. Please spank them and send them home. I need them ASAP. My feet are cold!

    I get my best ideas in the shower. They tend to wash down the plug hole if I'm not careful LOL

     
  • At 8:09 AM, Blogger Liddy Midnight said…

    Hmmm...Shelley, I've checked the waifs atop the dryer and they're all mine. However, I suspect my runaways have hooked up with yours and are somewhere sunny, partying with hundreds of other single socks. Sort of a footwear version of Spring Break.

    How about I send you half of mine, and you send me half of yours? We'll each have some really, er, interesting pairs that are sure to start conversations!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

 

 

 

 

 

Name: Liddy Midnight
Home: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

 

Previous Post
Pet Peeve of the Week - misused words

  Spam and scams

  Getting things done

 

Archives

Truly, Madly, Deeply Romance Authors

Links to Share
 

 

BLOGGER