Liddys Links

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 08, 2006
Chuckle for the day
Did you know who in 1923 was:
1. President of the largest steel company?
2. President of the largest gas company?
3. President of the New York Stock Exchange?
4. Greatest wheat speculator?
5. Great Bear of Wall Street?
These men should have been considered some of the world's most successful men. At least they found the secret of making money. Now more than 55 years later, do you know what has become of these men?

1. The President of the largest steel company, Charles Schwab, died with over $1.7 million in debt.
2. The President of the largest gas company, Edward Hopson, in 1941 was sentenced to prison for mail fraud and income tax evasion. He lived the rest of his life in "obscurity and ill health," dying in Brooklea Sanitarium at age 67 in in 1949.
3. The President of the N.Y.S.E., Richard Whitney, proved to be a very poor manager of his own financial affairs. After serving time for embezzlement, he was released from prison to die at home.
4. The greatest wheat speculator, Arthur Cooger, is suspected of vast insider trading that led to the Great Crash of 1929 and was charged with tax exasion but died before his trial.
5. The Great Bear of Wall Street, Cosabee Rivermore, killed himself.

The same year, 1923, the first winner of all four of golf's Grand Slam titles, Gene Sarazan, won the PGA Tournament. He played golf until 1994, and died in 1999 at the age of 97, still solvent.


CONCLUSION: STOP WORRYING ABOUT BUSINESS AND START PLAYING GOLF
posted by Liddy Midnight @ 11:43 AM  
10 Comments:
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Tempest Knight said…

    So thieves do become rich. Hmm...

     
  • At 5:40 AM, Blogger Liddy Midnight said…

    Aye, they do, but they always get their comeuppance. Always. LOL

    I think I'd rather live an honest life within my means, the way I do now, than be extravagant with borrowed money.

    Much better sleep. Much better karma.

    Thanks for stopping by, Tempest!

    Hugs,
    Liddy

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Blogger Jan Springer, Erotic Romance Author said…

    Stresssssssssssssssss! Yesssss!

    I've got to invest in some golf clubs. lol Do you think my two year old nephew's plastic golf club classifies?

    No!! Wait! I love mini golf.
    I think I will make my own mini golf course!
    That is a good stress releaser...

    Thanks, Liddy. I have a new project in my mind. :-)

    Hugs,

    jan

     
  • At 5:47 AM, Blogger Meljprincess said…

    Money certainly didn't buy them happiness did it?
    My Daddy was a serious golfer. When not working that's what he was doing. He used to see Arnold Palmer in the Publix right down the street from the house in Orlando. I miss my Daddy. When I was going through his stuff back in Feb. My Mom said "leave his golfclubs." He wants his ashes spread over a golf course.

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Zinnia said…

    Have you ever noticed how so many historical people and celebrities fall into some sort of similar category as the ones you've listed.

     
  • At 8:06 PM, Blogger Liddy Midnight said…

    Aww, Mel, honey, I'm not surprised you miss him. Actually getting his ashes to a golf course could be a problem. You'd have to do it serruptitiously - I think most states require permits for such disposition.

    No one in my family has ever taken up golf. It's an expensive walk in the sun or the bane of the Scots, depending on who you ask.

    Hugs,
    Liddy

     
  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Liddy Midnight said…

    Jan, did you know that miniature golf was developed and originally played on rooftops in NYC? Sure beats taking pot shots at the Chrysler Building! (That facade is always having to be repaired because of bullet holes.)

    Hugs,
    Liddy

     
  • At 12:27 AM, Blogger ReadingIsSoMuchFun said…

    Hello Liddy,

    Tysm for your lovely newsletter today. I enjoyed it :)

    Also I didn't know about this 1923 info. Tyvm for sharing I think after reading this I will stop complaining *G*

    I just want to say one thing though. OMG!!! $1.7 million in debt WoW. What did he do to get in that much debt?

    Hugssss
    Linda.H.

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger ChristyJan said…

    I'll have to send this to my hubby - he eats, drinks and sleeps golf. (He has to commute to work over 2 hours, one way, 5 days a week, so I guess he needs something to look forward to) And, if he sees any evidence that he could golf and live until he's 97...

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Liddy Midnight said…

    Linda, from what I read, he was instrumental in running a couple of companies intot he ground, and then never reduced his standard of living once he had no money. Living the high life, and running up debt, can get you in pretty deep in no time at all. "Keeping up appearances" was important in his social set, and there weren't the financial reporting requirements for companies that we have today - think Enron without any regulators to do anything about it!

    Why can't the rest of us get away with it, is my question. We're too honest -- or too unlucky!

    Hugs,
    Liddy

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

 

 

 

 

 

Name: Liddy Midnight
Home: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

 

Previous Post
What a month!

  Pet Peeve of the Week - Schedules!

  Finally! I'm back on-line!

  What they don't tell you, Part One

  Blogging for prizes!

  Pet Peeve of the Week - Big Houses and Nursing Homes

  Creating a Safe Haven

  Pet Peeve of the Week - misused words

  Spam and scams

  Getting things done

 

Archives

Truly, Madly, Deeply Romance Authors

Links to Share
 

 

BLOGGER