Liddys Links

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Friday, August 11, 2006
Pet Peeve of the Week - Deeply Disturbing Ads
You know, there aren't that many shows that I watch on TV. I enjoy CSI (what can I say, I'm a ghoul!), Cold Case Files, Clean Sweep, Project Runway, Stargate SG-1, and I really enjoy both Eureka! and Dead Like Me. Oh, wow, maybe I watch more TV than I thought!

At any rate, I think some of the commercials are really quite entertaining. Among the ones that leap to mind are the Vonage ads, with people doing stupid things. Do-do, do-do-do. Who can avoid having that jingle run through their head? And the Geico gecko. Forget the other Geico ads, that cute little gecko is da bomb. Remember the Budweiser frogs? And the Taster's Choice soap opera series? Those are classics!

Then there are those I classify as DEEPLY DISTURBING. The most dreadful of those is the DirectTV ad with the huge fat guy and Mini-Me. What made anyone at an ad agency think that script would motivate anyone to pick up the phone and subscribe? Not me! I've put DirectTV on my Never Patronize That Service list, just because of that commercial. It's deeply disturbing on so many levels.

So, what ads are on your Pet Peeve list? Which ones do you find Deeply Disturbing? And which ones are your favorites?
posted by Liddy Midnight @ 6:32 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 9:07 AM, Blogger Meljprincess said…

    The car commercials where there's a car crash upset me.
    Speaking of DEAD LIKE ME, which I loved to watch, I believe the British guy from the show does the Geico gecko's voice.

     
  • At 5:18 AM, Blogger Mahaira said…

    I watch CSI, too. I love Charmed, Ghost Whisperer, Desperate House wives and many many others. Looks like the idiot box is taking over my life! Ack!

    I sure you haven't seen the ones I see all the time. I am far far away from you and the products are different. I like the Pepsi and Lux ads they have here. Very creative. Hate the mosquito repellant and insect killer ones (you have to see those to hate them).

     
  • At 7:50 AM, Blogger ChristyJan said…

    I love to watch Dr. 90210 - I'm addicted to it actually. The commercial for Carl's Jr. with Dr. Rey where he’s consulting with a patient about breast augmentation and he says, she should really go “a lot bigger” and then the camera cuts away to a chicken is hysterical.

    My sister-in-law sent an e-mail petition to everyone she knows asking them to ban Carl's Jr. because of this ad. lol

    If you haven't seen it, here it is: http://www.carlsjr.com/ontv/

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger Liddy Midnight said…

    Now, MEA, I haven't seen the Seas World commercial. Sounds great, if it's got whales! Whales rule!

    Hugs,
    Liddy

     
  • At 7:19 PM, Blogger Liddy Midnight said…

    Ow, Princess Mel, any ad with a car crash is upsetting. Unless it's the tree falling on the station wagon in the Vonage commercial - now that's funny! But it's not exactly a car crash, is it?

    Hugs,
    Liddy

     
  • At 7:24 PM, Blogger Liddy Midnight said…

    Mahaira, have you found these commercials on-line anywhere that we could see them?

    Some ads from foreign countries are hilarious. I remember a "Best of" show a few years ago that had wonderful ads from all over the world.

    One I recall quite vividly was set inside a convent. A novice was dusting and broke the tiny penis off a statue of the Christ Child. Her more experienced assistant wrapped the bit of marble in a linen cloth and carried it to the Mother Superior like an offering. After exclaiming over this, the Mother Superior reached into her desk and provided a tube of Duco Rubber Cement. The older girl reattached the little penis with great ceremony and dignity. Just after she turned away, the novice reached out and flipped it so it was pointing up, not hanging down.

    That was a marvelous commercial! I think it was Italian.

    Hugs,
    Liddy

     
  • At 7:26 PM, Blogger Liddy Midnight said…

    Veronica, I saw that DirectTV ad just last night. They're still running it in this market. Lucky you, that it's gone!

    I liked the Quiznos ads with baby Bob the first few times I saw it, but they overplayed it. now I can't stand him.

    Haven't seen the ones with the dead rats or the stuffed hamster. They sound awful! What makes the marketing departments think those will induce us to buy their food?

    Hugs,
    Liddy

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

 

 

 

 

 

Name: Liddy Midnight
Home: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

 

Previous Post
Chuckle for the day

  What a month!

  Pet Peeve of the Week - Schedules!

  Finally! I'm back on-line!

  What they don't tell you, Part One

  Blogging for prizes!

  Pet Peeve of the Week - Big Houses and Nursing Homes

  Creating a Safe Haven

  Pet Peeve of the Week - misused words

  Spam and scams

 

Archives

Truly, Madly, Deeply Romance Authors

Links to Share
 

 

BLOGGER