Liddys Links

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Today's Chrysalis
There's not been a lot of change over the past week, although it is possible now to see more of the internal details. I believe I can make out some of the black markings on the developing butterfly's wings!

On the negative side, the stand of milkweed is not holding up to the predations of the caterpillars. There are lots of stripped stems, and ever fewer leaves for them to munch. Aphids took care of the very new growth at the top of the stalks and have effectively stopped any more leaves from forming.

I'm worried that some of the caterpillars will starve when all of the leaves are gone. It's been so terribly dry here over the past month - the drought just broke this week. We've had over five inches of rain since Saturday, but that isn't enough to bolster the growth enough to feed the developing caterpillars. I take comfort in the fact that most of the caterpillars now are huge, almost ready to pupate. This would be a good thing, removing them from the competition for the remaining leaves. In a few weeks, I'll harvest the seeds from the drying pods and sow them on the side of the house, where there's a garden that's not very visible from the rest of the property. There's plenty of room there for a bigger stand of milkweed, and I won't get hassled about it looked ratty! Next year that will be a supplemental food source, although it will take about three years for the plants to be large enough to support a large population.


Thank you for your interest in this! I know there are a lot more of you who visit than I thought. That's nice, and I had no idea my blog was attracting more than the few who comment.

Hugs,
Liddy
posted by Liddy Midnight @ 12:57 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 6:07 AM, Blogger Dena said…

    I can't wait til the butterfly emerges,although you might miss it and then won't get any pictures. Thanks for sharing. I think there are also a lot moths that are beautiful too. I'm newer to your blog,that's why you see me posting now.

     
  • At 6:22 PM, Blogger Two Voices Publishing said…

    This is so cool, Liddy! Great pictures!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

 

 

 

 

 

Name: Liddy Midnight
Home: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

 

Previous Post
Monarch Update!

  Yard pictures

  SQUEEEEEEE!

  Tip for Living

  Chuckle for the week...

  New Release Cover Art!

  Pet Peeve of the Week - Deeply Disturbing Ads

  Chuckle for the day

  What a month!

  Pet Peeve of the Week - Schedules!

 

Archives

Truly, Madly, Deeply Romance Authors

Links to Share
 

 

BLOGGER