Liddys Links

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Saturday, September 02, 2006
The saga continues...
Okay, so I dusted off my hands and got out the camera again. It was time to search for more caterpillars on their way to butterflyhood.

Just how far can a caterpillar crawl? Pretty danged far! The monarchs eat only milkweed, so I know where they had to originate. I found a cluster of three of them, already in chrysalis form, about 15 feet away from the milkweed stand.




You may notice something about these. They're very shiny and a lot more solid than the first one I found. The covering on that one looked almost thin in comparison, and grew thinner as the days passed. There were the same golden metallic spots but it quickly lost the smooth opacity of these. That's gotten me to thinking. Maybe the first one wasn't actually going to hatch. That sure helps me feel better about losing it!

I also located another caterpillar hanging upside down in its comma shape, this time on the back of the redwood catnip planter. I took pix yesterday (left) and this morning (right). There wasn't much change overnight; I suspect the cool weather may have slowed down its metamorphosis. It appears to be acquiring a green-gold metallic sheen. I hope you can see that in these shots. (The most recent one, to the right, has a drop of rain on it.)

I hope this one develops nicely right where it is. There's absolutely no reason for it to be disturbed--it's on the side of the planter away from the street and also several feet away from any weeds--out of reach of an overzealous weedwhacker! I'm going to check it in a few hours to see if there's any further change. The cool weather (temps in the 60s) may have slowed down the process to where I can get photos as the metamorphosis occurs.

Hugs,
Liddy

posted by Liddy Midnight @ 10:00 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 5:43 AM, Blogger Jennifer Y. said…

    How neat.

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger Dena said…

    That's so cool you found some more Liddy.They are so different from the other one,hmmm,maybe it wouldn't have hatched.

     
  • At 8:59 AM, Blogger Liddy Midnight said…

    It is interesting, isn't it? And my theory now (based on a study cohort of all of two LOL) is that the chrysalis forms at dusk or after dark.

    The new one is a lot more like the other three I found, which makes me really think I found a substandard or unhealthy specimen for my initial photos. Or might it have been a matter of bad air down near the street? Nah, our street isn't very busy at all. It takes the snow a long time to discolor, so it's not getting that much methyl-ethyl-bad-stuff from the exhaust emissions.

    Hugs,
    Liddy

     
  • At 11:35 AM, Blogger Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said…

    I just discovered your caterpillar watch-how cool! I'll have to check back for progress. :)
    How long should it take before the butterfly emerges?

     
  • At 11:16 AM, Blogger Liddy Midnight said…

    Thanks, Eden, I'm glad you are interested.

    The pupa takes about two weeks to develop. The caterpillar also eats for about two weeks before it forms the chrysalis.

    Hugs,
    Liddy

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

About Me

 

 

 

 

 

Name: Liddy Midnight
Home: Southeastern, Pennsylvania, United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

 

Previous Post
DISASTER! ! !

  Today's Chrysalis

  Monarch Update!

  Yard pictures

  SQUEEEEEEE!

  Tip for Living

  Chuckle for the week...

  New Release Cover Art!

  Pet Peeve of the Week - Deeply Disturbing Ads

  Chuckle for the day

 

Archives

Truly, Madly, Deeply Romance Authors

Links to Share
 

 

BLOGGER